Friday, April 09, 2010

A REAL Update

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday. One week ago, it was Thursday. Two weeks ago, it was Thursday. Four weeks ago, it was Thursday. And four weeks ago, on Thursday, I found out that I wasn't going where I planned as an SM. Again.

Rain, rain, rain. Today is Thursday. Today it rained. Four weeks ago, it was Thursday. Four weeks ago, it rained. And four weeks ago, more than just rain tracked down my cheeks.

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts. Thoughts of frustration. Thoughts of disappointment. Thoughts of confusion. Thoughts of hope.

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday. Today is Thursday. Today I learned that I'm going to be tutoring/teaching science at Maxwell Adventist Academy; Nairobi, Kenya.


I'm not quite sure what to do, how to feel, what to think. But I paused to simply thank God; thank Him for guidance, for patience (though perhaps not expressed to a saintly degree), for a plan, and especially for an answer. That joy way down in my heart started gushing and overflowing, beaming from my face, even leaking from my eyes. A feeling washed over me: a feeling of letting go, of calm, a loss of apprehension; a feeling that passes understanding.

I'm speechless. After 15 months of wishing and hoping and praying and waiting, I expected to have more to say. For a roller coaster full of twists and turns, dips and loops, this is the first predictable turn. I feel as though I should be struggling to hold back all the words and stories and hallelujahs – but perhaps silence is a more profound expression.

The application was approved by the receiving division of your first call interest and is waiting for the General Conference vote.

Boy is that a sight for joy-filled eyes.



I've been through the other steps of the student missionary process a few times before. Now it's back to new territory.

Bring it on.

1 comment:

kessia reyne said...

This is fantastic! I'm so happy for you, Jessica. I said it before, I'll say it again: Kenya will love you. (And I know you'll love it back.)