Thursday, August 05, 2010

Good-Bye

In the past week, I've had to bid a 10-month goodbye to many of my best friends. Oofta. As my friend Kristen put it, "Goodbye is just goodbye"; a statement that grows wiser with age. I always feel as though my goodbyes need to give some sort of closure, to somehow make the departure okay. But that's not a goodbye's job. A goodbye is simply a goodbye.


Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes.
I know what I need. I need more hellos. 
-Snoopy


Well, lookee there; a wish comes true. For as much as I hate goodbyes, bad-byes must be much worse, and I haven't had any of those. I've got nothing but first-time hellos on the other side of the ocean. This has got to be good. Here's to more hellos.

2 comments:

kessia reyne said...

It will never NOT have been worth it to go. This is the right thing. It's the right time. You're the right person. Kenya is the right place. All those goodbyes will be worth it.

And, for your reading pleasure, the blog of a stranger (but a friend to me), who expressed a sentiment I thought you might be able to relate to >> http://thelivanos.blogspot.com/2010/07/heaven.html

Unknown said...

Jessica,
This is so profound. I love your comment about bad byes. How blessed we are not to have any bad byes!