Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just Do It

I've spent too much time avoiding the wrong things, and not enough doing the right.


 As a third-grader in the one-room church school, I prided myself on never refusing to offer prayer for the class when asked. I never declined a request to take out the trash or raise the flag. Even the boys' bathroom got a cautiously thorough scrub when the teacher asked Jessica to clean it. A good Christian girl, I thought. It wasn't until high school that I found this:
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins. (James 4:17, NIV) 
I can avoid killing, stealing, murdering, coveting, and adultery by locking myself in a little sin-proof bunker, but what good does that do anyone? What has been accomplished? Why should I wait for someone to ask me to do something I know needs doing? 

"Do what God's word says. Don't merely listen to it." (James 1:22, God's Word)


Just do it.

No comments: