Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sent

I have a problem. I'm simply doing what I'm asked to do. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm doing a satisfactory job. But who am I serving? Am I serving the students of Maxwell Adventist Academy, or am I serving the heavenly Headmaster  of the school? Will He say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" or will I be greeted with, "Simply done, mediocre and so-so employee." Why should I aspire to the goals of men? Why not excel, as if serving the Lord Himself? If Jesus were in my class, would I teach and plan and grade differently?

I don't feel much like a missionary.
 
I'm neither canoeing down croc-infested rivers nor applying herbal poultices to open ulcers. I'm neither manuring my dirt floor by day nor holding evangelistic meetings by night. I'm not passing out Bibles and literature or clothing and shoes. I'm not doing much of anything different.

I'm still going to school. I still take a hot shower in the morning and eat potatoes and eggs in the cafeteria for breakfast. I still sleep on a mattress with sheets and a duvet. I still use the internet, and still have a cellphone.


Nope. There's no invisible barrier rising from the Atlantic that magically transforms you into a missionary when you penetrate it. And as far as I've noticed, there's no, "Poof! Ah, yes. I am a missionary now." moment. Nope.

How does one become a missionary?

First, what is a missionary?

Wikipedia: A missionary is a member of a religious group sent into an area to carry on ministries of the word, such as evangelism and literacy, or ministries of service, such as education, social justice, health care and economic development. The word "mission" originates from 1598 when the Jesuits sent members abroad, derived from the Latin missionem (nom. missio), meaning "act of sending" or mittere, meaning "to send".

Ok. So I need to be a member of a religious group. Check. And be sent into an area. Check check. And carry on ministries such as education. Check.

Ok. Let's break it down (weeka weeka!).
Things that are sent go, right? Right.
So if something is told to go, it's really the same as being sent.

"Go, therefore, and teach all nations..."

Oh.
He told me to go. He told you to go.
He sent me. He sent you.
I am a missionary.
You are a missionary.
(Yes. I realize that this isn't the best logic; just because mail is sent and so are we doesn't mean that we're mail. I mean, I'm sure there's some sort of analogy that can be drawn from mail, but we'll get to that later. Back to the sending...)
Funny. I've been "sent" all sorts of places and carried on all sorts of service for all years of my life. I've been sent to the restroom to scrub the sinks. I've been sent to the food shelf to pack food packages. I've been sent to ask to borrow a couple copy boxes. I've been a missionary.



Dear Missionary:


Brighten the corner where you are.


With love,
-He who sent you

1 comment:

Olga Liz said...

Wow Jessica!!Is aawesome!!Is another blog that I could definitely identify with!!!Totally!!! I asked the same questiosn qhen I got here to Cambodia, I was struggling with God for being so "comfortable" liek you said: HOt water, cell phone, comfy bed etc. I think God wants to make us realize that. And it may sound like a cliche, but it's true, Finally you get to realize that as a Christian, we are sent by God, to do something. NO matter where we are!! Take care and God bless you!!