Thursday, September 02, 2010

A Powerful Equation

I am a tutor. I (attempt to) help students understand difficult concepts and equations. What follows is an equation so incredibly simple that most of us forget how effective it is.

Σ = δ or
S = d or
Virtus = Dies or
nguvu = siku or
fuerte = día or
strength = day.

Yep. Simplistic. Trying to complete the proof? Deuteronomy 33:25b // "...your strength will equal your days."


This week has helped me realize that sometimes God, Whose strength is "made perfect" in my weaknesses, gets a little carried away with His strength-sharing. I propose the following revision to the equation above:

Σ ≥ δ or
strengthday.

Many days, I lay my head on the pillow, excited about what tomorrow may bring, ready to greet others with a good-morning grin. Other days, I get to lunch and wonder how I'll ever drag myself through the afternoon. The last two days have been Σ = δ days, but that's more than enough to be thankful for. Perhaps that simply means I've been giving that extra strength – the Σ - δ –  away.


One more equation:

Σ - δ = G.
G = a gift. Gifts are free, and they're both received and given. Freely you have received; freely give.


II Chronicles 15:7 // Be strong, and do not give up! Your work will be rewarded.

No comments: